Canada eTA - Electronic Travel Authorisation

- Travelling / Transiting Canada by air

- An eTA costs $7 CAD and is valid for up to five years

Applying for an eTA is a simple online process. Most applicants get their eTA approval (via an email) within minutes. However, some requests can take several days to process if you're asked to submit supporting documents. It is best to get an eTA before you book your flight to Canada.

How to Apply for eTA


You either need a visitor visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to, or transit through, a Canadian airport. You only need one or the other, not both.

Who needs an eTA to travel to Canada?

You need an eTA if you’re a:

Visa-exempt foreign national and you’re flying to or transiting through a Canadian airport

As a visa-exempt foreign national, you do NOT need an eTA (or a visitor visa) when arriving by car, bus, train or boat (including a cruise ship).

What you need to complete the form and pay for your eTA

You will need:

- a valid passport from a visa-exempt country

- a valid email address, AND

- one of the following acceptable methods of payment to pay the $7 CAD fee (non-refundable): Visa®, Mastercard®, American Express®, a pre-paid Visa®, Mastercard® or American Express®, Visa Debit, or Debit Mastercard, UnionPay®, JCB Card®, or Interac®.

USA ESTA - Electronic System for Travel Authorization

ESTA is an automated system that determines the eligibility of visitors to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). Authorization via ESTA does not determine whether a traveler is admissible to the United States. U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers determine admissibility upon travelers’ arrival. The ESTA application collects biographic information and answers to VWP eligibility questions. ESTA applications may be submitted at any time prior to travel, though it is recommended that travelers apply as soon as they begin preparing travel plans or prior to purchasing airline tickets.

Apply for a new ESTA

All eligible international travelers who wish to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program must apply for authorization.

Who You Are:

- You are a citizen or eligible national of a Visa Waiver Program country.

- You are currently not in possession of a visitor's visa.

- Your travel is for 90 days or less.

- You plan to travel to the United States for business or pleasure.

- You want to apply for a new authorization for one person or a group of applications for two or more persons.

What You Need:

- Valid passport from a Visa Waiver Program country

- Valid credit card (MasterCard, VISA, American Express, and Discover (JCB, Diners Club)) or PayPal to pay the US $14 per application.

- Your contact information.

- Your most recent employment information, if applicable.